Wednesday, June 11, 2008

We have Triplets!

I discovered last week that a mama bunny has chosen our backyard to have her little ones. I discovered it when I was mowing. I'm not sure what made me stop, but I paused long enough to look in the grass at a spot about a foot in front of the lawnmower -- and the grass was moving! That's what made me pause. I thought maybe it was a baby bird, but when I got down to take a look I realized they were mammals.

My first thought was a mole (??), but when I saw those little ears I knew they were rabbits! How cool is that? At first only two were poking their heads out (I'm sure I rocked their world with that lawnmower), but just today I discovered three! When I first saw them they were hairless, but now they have hair and are able to crawl all the way out of their hole. I actually called them out twice! I walked up to the hole and made a squeeking noise and they came out!! Wow. But then one got stuck in the grass surrounding the hole and hunkered down. So I had to use my two ring fingers to pick him up and push him back towards the hole. I'm sure he wouldn't have found it on his own. Anyway, here are some pics -- I can't wait to watch them grow up and out!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, baby rabbits! Be very, very twiet!!! Glad you took pictures of 'em. There is a pretty, long-haired 'community' cat that is spending time around a few houses here. The other morning it was sitting on the deck and looked pretty comfortable! Keep us posted on any other animals that you might have in your yard.