Sunday, June 04, 2006

Kangaroos & Marathons


Today (Sun) Eric and I went up to Deadwood to see our good friend, Rachel (she's in the green in this picture), from college run her first half-marathon in the Deadwood-Mickelson Trail Marathon. It was fun to see her and to go to a finish line at a marathon. It was pretty inspiring, actually. Spectators were clapping for people as they crossed the finish line. The part I like the best is that everyone's doing it for fun. No one's career rests on how fast you run or how much you weigh. It doesn't have to be a nervewracking event -- just a friendly competition with yourself (can you tell the AF fitness tests have scarred me?). Anyway, it seems to be the trend with my friends from college -- non-fitness nuts who turn into marathoners.

After that was over, Eric and I went to a new tourist place called "The Roo Ranch." It's right outside of Deadwood and they have kangaroos & wallabies to look at in cages. It wasn't a whiz-bang tourist place like Bear Country, but they've only been in business for a week and it was fun to see the kangaroos as up close as I'll probably ever see them. The pictures I put in here are of one of Red Kangaroos lying on his back totally enjoying being lazy. It was pretty cute to watch him.

4 comments:

KPrince said...

How fun!! I don't think I have ever seen a kangaroo in person!!

Kathy said...

Caleb - that's right you spent a couple years in Australia. I suppose they're probably like deer over there. Did you set up a blog for yourself?

Caleb said...

- Bingo, they are just like deer over there. The blog will be going up sometime soon, when i can get a few hours to figure it out and pass the info onto Kami (who will be writing in it most of the time), I'm just a wee bit busy...I guess it's my own stinkin' fault though!

Kathy said...

Yeah, you've got a lot on your plate. The blog is so much fun if you have stuff to say every few days. I'm not so good about it, but if you have kids there usually seems to be a lot of material to post. I'd love to see some pictures of you guys -- especially Jacob and Rachael! I bet they look so different now :)